Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs 30 mins
This recipe takes winter tomatoes and turns them into fruit with summery concentrated sweetness and intense tomato essence. Serve as a side dish with roast beef, lamb, steak, or fish. Or puree the tomatoes with olive oil and serve simply over pasta. From Cooking Light.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 lbs plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise or 16 plum tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Combine the sugar, extra virgin olive oil, salt, basil, oregano, pepper, and tomatoes in a large bowl, tossing gently to coat the tomatoes.
- Arrange the tomatoes, cut side up, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Roast at 200 degrees for 7 1/2 hours.
This is one of my all time favorite recipes of all that I have tried on food.com. I have made oven roasted tomatoes for Caprese salad in the past, but thought I would chop them and make home made marinara using them. Next time I will puree half of the tomatoes but am quickly jotting down my ingredients and steps for the marinara because it was simply divine!