This is my very own, 100% original recipe for an authentic Indian "pulao". The word "pilaf" is distortion of the word "pulao" which simply means a rice dish cooked with veggies and spices. This tastes great with a spicy raita, or with plain yogurt. Using margarine makes this a vegan.
My Private Note
main di ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1/4 teaspoon garlic paste (You can use minced fresh garlic, to your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon butter or 1/2 teaspoon ghee or 1/2 teaspoon margarine
- 1/4 cup basmati rice or 1/4 cup long-grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 -5 peppercorns
- 4 -5 cloves
- 1/4 cup carrot, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh peas or 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3/4-1 cup water
- pepper (optional)
- 1Wash the rice well; drain.
- 2Melt butter/margarine/ghee in a saucepan over low to medium heat.
- 3Saute garlic paste/powder/minced garlic in butter for about 15 seconds, then add the chopped onions and saute until browned, about 5-10 minutes.
- 4Add the rice, cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and cloves to the onion-garlic mixture and saute for 10-15 minutes or until the rice is evenly browned.
- 5Now add carrots, peas, salt, and water, stir, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, without stirring, until the rice is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- 6Uncover and evaporate excess water if any, remove from flame, and fluff up with a fork.
- 7Season with extra salt and pepper, if necessary, and serve hot!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aromatic Peas and Carrot Pilaf for one
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.1
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 632.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: