Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
While you can’t purchase Andrea’s luscious lip balm at Aromatics International or on any store shelf, you can make it yourself. Her recipe calls for Orange essential oil, which mixes nicely with the nutty/appetizing aroma of Shea Butter. The overall scent is tasty but not overpowering or sweet. (In other words, you won’t be compelled it lick it right off.)
- 10 drops orange essential oils
- 1⁄2 ounce beeswax
- 1 ounce certified organic jojoba oil
- 1 ounce organic shea butter
- Melt 1/2 oz. Beeswax and 1 oz. Jojoba in a double boiler.
- When melted take off the stove, add the Shea butter and the Orange essential oil.
- Stir until melted and pour immediately into lip balm tins or lip balm tubes.
- For a double boiler, try a Pyrex measuring cup rested in a soup pot filled half way with water.
Kudos on a faboulous recipe. I didn't have any Orange essential oil, so I used Grapefruit. (Peppermint tends to burn my skin...but it would have been good alternate). I am not quite as fussy with the cooking method though. I weighed beeswax pellets directly into my smallest pot, weighed out the jojoba oil and melted it directly over the flame...constantly moving the pellets around until they had dissolved (3 minutes) I had already measured out the shea butter on my scale, so I added that and kept moving the pot around until it had melted. Reminder: essential oils are heat sensitive...so once the mixture had cooled down somewhat, I added the grapefruit essential and some Vitamin E to act as a preservative. I got 4 - 1 oz pots plus 2 lip tubes. I had to try whatever was left in the pot and I I am still smacking on my lips. The grapefruit taste was very subtle. I plan on giving these beauties for Xmas/hostest gifts over the season. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I would highly recommend this. P.S. There is nothing to say that you can's use this as a cuticle cream!!!