Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe courtesy Nigella Lawson
Make and share this Aromatic Lamb Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped scallion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons semolina
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Put the lamb into a bowl and add the scallions.
- Sprinkle over the spices, salt, and semolina.
- Beat the egg and add to the bowl.
- Work everything together thoroughly with your hands; cover with plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap.
- Scoop out a scant teaspoon of the mixture.
- Roll in your hands to form the meatball and place on the lined baking sheet.
- Have a bowl of cold water beside you to dampen your hands with; this helps them not get too sticky for rolling the meatballs.
- When you are ready to cook them, heat about 1/2-inch of oil in a frying pan.
- Line another baking sheet with kitchen towel.
- When the oil is hot, fry the meatballs in batches without overcrowding the pan.
- Cook them for about a minute a side, or until golden brown all over.
These are very tasty little things. I followed Chef Kate's lead and baked them in the oven instead frying them. Great by themselves, but I added them to Crock Pot Ratatouille (recipe number 58047). Husband raved and raved.
Made these, following all the directions except the last--I baked them on a cookie sheet in a 385 degree oven, because I wanted to skip the extra fat. Raves all around! From the 91 year old fuss budget to the aging yuppie gourmets--all votes for five stars.