Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 6 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon peeled grated gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Place chicken in a shallow dish; sprinkle with salt.
- Combine lemon rind and juice; drizzle lemon mixture over chicken.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add onion, and cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and gingerroot; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves; cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Coat skillet with cooking spray and add oil.
- Place over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add chicken and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken and sprinkle with cumin and next 3 ingredients.
- Cook for additional minutes or until golden.
- Add onion mixture and tomatoes and stir well.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove and discard cinnamon stick and whole cloves.
- Add cilantro the last 5 minutes of cooking.