Top Review by mianbao
I have to agree with Richard Clarke that this makes a beautiful meal. I mainly followed the recipe, though I used a little less chicken than called for, and added about 2 cups chicken stock to prevent burning, and have a "saucier" dish. I kept the heat on low for most of the cooking time. I used whole spices unless specified in the recipe, and enjoyed the burst of flavor that the coriander seeds provided in the finished dish. This is so fragrant, and, while not what I would typically think of as curry, is the kind of dish you might get in a good Indian restaurant. We enjoyed this very much with Bergy's Naan. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us.
- 6 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon peeled grated gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in a shallow dish; sprinkle with salt.
- Combine lemon rind and juice; drizzle lemon mixture over chicken.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add onion, and cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and gingerroot; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves; cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Coat skillet with cooking spray and add oil.
- Place over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add chicken and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken and sprinkle with cumin and next 3 ingredients.
- Cook for additional minutes or until golden.
- Add onion mixture and tomatoes and stir well.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove and discard cinnamon stick and whole cloves.
- Add cilantro the last 5 minutes of cooking.