Recipe by Engrossed
From “North African Cooking” by Hilaire Walden. This will probaby work with canned chickpeas and since it doesn't include cooking time for uncooked chickpeas, I'm not either.
- 2 lbs dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight and drained (chickpeas)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch saffron thread, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, deseeded, and chopped
- 1 red onion, coarsely grated
- 4 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 6 sprigs parsley, chopped
- salt and black pepper
- chili pepper flakes, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the chickpeas in boiling water until tender. Drain, and peel if liked. *I may try this with 2 cans of cooked chickpeas.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, stir in the saffron and other spices and cook until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, parsley, chickpeas, and seasoning.
- Cover and heat through gently for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.