Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
From “North African Cooking” by Hilaire Walden. This will probaby work with canned chickpeas and since it doesn't include cooking time for uncooked chickpeas, I'm not either.
- 2 lbs dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight and drained (chickpeas)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch saffron thread, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, deseeded, and chopped
- 1 red onion, coarsely grated
- 4 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 6 sprigs parsley, chopped
- salt and black pepper
- chili pepper flakes, to taste
- Cook the chickpeas in boiling water until tender. Drain, and peel if liked. *I may try this with 2 cans of cooked chickpeas.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, stir in the saffron and other spices and cook until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, parsley, chickpeas, and seasoning.
- Cover and heat through gently for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
DH enjoyed this recipe very much. It is very similar to one I make. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.