Recipe by English_Rose
The subtle aromatic sauce in this dish combines spices used in India, but with none of the heat.
- 1 lb lamb neck fillet
- 1 red onion, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 lb red salad potatoes, cut into half
- 1 1⁄2 pints lamb broth
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- flat leaf parsley
- naan bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 300°F Cut the lamb into 2in cubes.
- Fry the meat in a non-stick frying pan, a few pieces at a time, for 2 minutes, until browned, then transfer with any juices to a flameproof casserole.
- Add the onion and fry over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and continue to cook for a further minute. Add the cumin, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and potatoes and the broth. Season and bring to the boil.
- Cover the casserole and cook in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove the lamb and potatoes from the casserole, set aside. Skim away any excess fat then simmer over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes to reduce the liquid (3-4 minutes if it is not going to be frozen).
- Stir in the chutney and garnish with flat-leaf parsley.
- Serve with naan and/or rice.