Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Italian Cooking & Living magazine
- 1 lb stale bread, crusts removed and torn
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk, plus extra
- 5 eggs
- 2 tablespoons minced Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mash well with your fingers until mixed.
- Shape some of the mixture into a walnut-sized ball.
- Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil, add salt, drop in the dumpling, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Taste to ensure that the mixture is the proper consistency: if it is too soft add a little flour; if it is too firm add a little milk.
- Shape the rest of the dumplings; spread out on a floured tray; cook until soft and plump, about 15 minutes.
- Drain gently and serve hot, drizzled with melted butter or dropped into a bowl of chicken or beef broth.