This pilaf perfumes the whole house as it cooks! You will surely get ooohs and aaahs from this dish. I'm not sure of it's orgins since all of the ingredients could either be Morrocan or Persian. The garnish of pistachio nuts say Persian but the nuts could just as easy be pine nuts or almonds. Lamb fixed with mint would be great or a fragrant chicken dish to go along with this side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice, washed
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup raisins or 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest or 1 tablespoon lemon, rind of
- 1/4 cup unsalted pistachios, toasted
- 1Heat oil and butter in a 3 quart pan over high heat.
- 2Add cinnamon and cloves, stirring until cinnamon puffs up,1-2 minutes.
- 3Reduce heat, add onion, cardamom, saute until onion is clear, about 3 minutes.
- 4Stir in rice, mix to coat all grains with other ingredients.
- 5Cook until it starts to be aromatic, 1-2 minutes.
- 6Add water, chicken broth, rest of ingredients, except.
- 8Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover.
- 9Simmer until all liquid is absorbed, 13-15 minutes.
- 10Remove from heat, let stand for 10 minutes.
- 11Uncover, fluff with fork before serving.
- 12Remove cinnamon and cloves.
- 13May hold covered in a 200F low oven for 30 minutes.
- 15may also be reheated covered in microwave.
- 16Garnish with pistachios.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aromatic Basmati Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.8
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 341.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 5.9 g