Recipe by Trinkets
Originally this recipe came from the Williams-Sonoma Kitchen but I can never leave anything alone. I've put my signature on this wonderful meatloaf and now it's ready for company or even your MIL (jk). Serve with Creamy and Simple Mashed Potatoes, Haricots Verts, Roasted Fennel and Shallots, and for dessert Strawberries Elizabeth served over vanilla ice cream. Your friends and family will crown you!
Top Review by ChrisI
This is a delicious meatloaf, but just a bit dry, perhaps I cooked it a bit too long, 1 hr 10 mins. Didn't have carrots or celery but the entire combination is great. I will try it again.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 ounce dried mushroom
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Soak the dried mushrooms in warmed beef broth then when soft, about 30 minutes later, drain and rough chop the mushrooms, saving the broth on the side.
- Coat the bottom of a roasting pan with 1 TBS of olive oil.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 TBS of the olive oil and saute carrots, red pepper, celery and onions until soft.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and saute 1 minutes more.
- Set that aside to cool.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl mix together the leftover beef broth and 1.5 cups bread crumbs; soak 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine 1.5 cups of breadcrumbs, 2 TBS parsley, 1 TBS olive oil, shredded cheese, salt and pepper.
- In another large mixing bowl, mix beef, soaked crumbs, sauteed vegies, eggs, parsley, thyme, cubed cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place meat mixture in the roasting pan and shape into a loaf.
- Cover top and sides with cheese-bread crumb mixture.
- Bake until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Absolutely serve with mashed potatoes.