Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
An interesting dish !!
Make and share this Arni exohiko ("surprise" lamb country style ) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 16 cherry tomatoes, peeled
- 8 lamb loin chops
- 1⁄2 lb kasseri cheese, small pieces
- 18 sheets phyllo dough
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter, hot and melted
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups peas, cooked and drained
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- In a heavy skillet heat the oil or butter and fry the garlic with the lamb over medium heat turning frequently.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile unroll the filo sheets and cover with a damp towel.
- In a small pan over low heat have the butter hot without letting it brown.
- Remove two sheets of filo brush with hot butter over the first then cover with the second sheet and brush it with butter.
- In the center of the buttered filo place 1 lamb chop 2 tablspoons peas 2 potato balls 2 cherry tomatoes and a slice of kasseri.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper a heaping tablespoon of parsley and a pinch of oregano.
- Fold the filo around the lamb and vegetables like a sealed parcel.
- Place seam side down on a buttered baking pan (approximately 11 x 15 x 3 inches) and set aside while you repeat the procedure with the remaining ingredients to make 8"parcels".
- Brush hot butter on the tops then bake in a moderate oven (350 F) for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden in color.
- Remove from the oven and arrange on a warm platter or on individual dishes.
- Serve warm with a fresh-cooked or raw vegetable salad.
- Arni Exohiko can frequently be prepared using buttered waxed paper parchment paper or aluminum foil if you prefer.
A Greek treat this was! Had to inmprovise a bit. Could not get the cut of meat you state in the recipe. I bought a piece of boneless leg of lamb. I fried and browned that first, when it cooled I cut it in thin slices to put in the filo parcels. In the steps you mention potatoes, but they are at the moment of writing this review not in the ingredients list. I peeled and sliced a potato and added that to the parcel. The cheese I could not get and I used feta cheese. My parcels ended up quite large approx 6x4 inch, don't know or they are supposed to be like that or that I should have pushed it all a bit more together to make the parcel smaller. I made them well in advance so I only had to pop them in the oven. To make this long story a bit shorter...we loved the dish, the lamb was tender, the cheese and herbs gave it a soft background flavor and the filo was lovely golden and crisp!