1/1 Photo of Army Soup
1 hr 15 mins
Susie T's Note:
My dad used to make this when he was in the Spanish Military. They ate this morning, noon and night. I was brought up on it and missed it when I left home. Now I cook it for my family and they love it. This stew is called 'Patatas Guisadas' but we renamed it 'Army Soup'.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 green capsicum, finely diced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 500 g rump steak, cubed
- 5 large potatoes, cubed into medium sized chunks
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 Japanese pumpkin, chopped into large chunks (Or your favourite pumpkin)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons beef stock powder
- 7 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered imitation saffron
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1Heat oil in a large pot.
- 2Saute onion, garlic, capsicum and tomato.
- 3Add beef and cook until browned.
- 4Add sherry and let it reduce a little and add some of the water to cover the beef.
- 5Let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 6A pressure cooker takes less time.
- 7Add rest of the ingredients and water and bring to the boil.
- 8Lower heat and simmer for a further 1 hour or until potato is soft and soup appears thickened.
- 9If using a pressure cooker, follow steps 1 to 4 then follow step 7 and place lid on pressure cooker and time from when the pressure starts to build up and shake the cap for 12 minutes cooking time on medium heat.
- 10Sometimes when using a pressure cooker it becomes quite watery. If you like to thicken up the soup just use 1 tablespoon of corn flour mixed with a little water and stir into the soup until thickened.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Army Soup
Serving Size: 1 (775 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 516.4
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 50.8 mg
- Sodium 104.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 24.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: