Recipe by Lennie
Taken from Out of This World CookBook II. I have never tried this! I don't know if it's meant to be a main course on a buffet or for a large family, or just a meaty side dish -- so I'll categorize it as both.
Top Review by Titanium Chef
This was very easy and it had a great taste. I halved it here on 'Zaar, and here are the other things I did differently: used hot Italian sausage; added garlic and hot pepper flakes; and when adding the rice, I felt that 1 1/8 quarts of water and 1 cup of rice seemed disproportionate, so I added 2 cups of rice. When I took it out of the oven after 40 minutes, it was done and had the right texture, so we called it good and had it as a meaty side dish. Wonderful! And... yes it makes a ton of food, even if you halve it...
- 2 lbs pork sausage
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 packages dry chicken noodle soup mix
- 9 cups boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- In a Dutch Oven, over medium-high heat, add sausage, onions, pepper and celery.
- When sausage is browned, stir in rice and almonds.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry soup mix with boiling water; stir well.
- Stir soup mixture into Dutch Oven and combine.
- Cover casserole and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes; uncover and bake for an additional 50 minutes.
- Serves a lot!