Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my grandmother Hyganoush's recipe. Light and fluffy and delicious. Can be served with maple syrup or confectioners sugar or BOTH! Great breakfast! I should also add that batter can be mixed the night before and placed in refrigerator overnight to rise. Take out and leave at room temperature for 1/2 hour or so before frying. When we were kids we used to see all sorts of people and animals in the shapes.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil
- Dissolve yeast in warm water with sugar.
- Whisk in eggs.
- Add flour and salt to make a batter a little thicker than pancake batter.
- Allow to rise in a warm spot until double in bulk.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Drop by spoonfuls in hot oil. Keep them rolling around until browned.
- Drain and serve with powdered sugar or maple syrup.
Some were like large tear drops. Some were somewhat round. I rolled in cinnamon and sugar and they were great. I put in a warm oven with a cloth cover to rise and it worked well, because the kitchen is really not warm enough right now. I will make again. Very easy. I recommend a thermometer to keep the oil constand temperature. Thanks for posting!