Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe has been in my family for years, and came from some Armenian friends. Although it's basically just vegetables cooked together, it's surprisingly hearty and satisfying. I usually don't cook with catsup, but it works well in this recipe.
- 1⁄2 lb green beans
- 3 carrots
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 medium onions
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 small zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Chop all vegetables except zucchini and place in a covered casserole or dutch oven. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the zucchini and mix gently. Leave uncovered and cook for 20 - 30 minutes more.
- Serve over rice or with a delicious crusty bread, and top with a dollop of yogurt, if you like. Leftovers are even better the next day.
Delicious! So simple and healthy. I served it over brown rice with a dollop of plain yogurt. Thanks for sharing this simple and tasty recipe.
I just can't seem to make enough of these Armenian vegetable dishes, they are all great. I really loved this dish. I was apprehensive about using the ketchup but it worked just fine. I also sauteed my onions prior to adding them to the casserole, but that is a personal preference because I like onions extremely soft and I was concerned that they might still be crunchy. I omitted the zucchini and added and extra potato or two. Fantastic!!!!! Could not stop eating this.