Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a mouth watering awesome Armenian style steak tartare called Chee kufta by my Aunt Sophie. She made this for me special when I was visiting her, which was very often! It's important to use very, very lean beef and make sure you have the butcher ground it very fine, twice. Knead it as recipe says to: 5 minutes! No, you won't get sick if you prepare it correctly!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean ground meat (London Broil or top round)
- 2 1⁄4 cups fine ground cracked wheat (bulgur)
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 3 cups onions, chopped fine
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- Combine vegetables and basil together and mix well.
- In a large bowl combine 2 cups of chopped vegetables and mix the bulgur, water, tomato sauce and salt.
- Mix well and let stand 10 minutes.
- Add meat and blend well.
- Knead about 5 minutes, moistening your hands with cold water at intervals.
- Taste for salt.
- Add more if necessary.
- Shape as desired and place on platter.
- We liked it squished flat with a fork and spread liberally with fresh chopped parsley and green onions as garnish.
- Eat with pita bread or crusty french bread, YUM!
Hi Mark...Although I know Basil is a staple in alot of Armenian dishes, I've never heard of it being used in chee kufta. Although I'm sure it works well...will have to try it. Funny, I was cutting up a beef tenderloin for shish kabob yesterday and just seeing that glorious chunk of meat in front of me made me crave chee kufta...so I cut off a chunk and made a quick batch for myself(a plate of maybe 10). I don't make it often, only because my husband can't grasp the idea of eating raw meat...although he tried it once and loved it before he knew what it was(I know,should of never told him)! Anyway, when I saw your recipe it reminded me of yesterdays chee kufta fix! Would you happen to have the recipe for harissa? Not the pastry, but the barley and meat dish...can't find it anywhere. Did I mention that I'm a fellow armenian???LOL