This is a mouth watering awesome Armenian style steak tartare called Chee kufta by my Aunt Sophie. She made this for me special when I was visiting her, which was very often! It's important to use very, very lean beef and make sure you have the butcher ground it very fine, twice. Knead it as recipe says to: 5 minutes! No, you won't get sick if you prepare it correctly!
- Combine vegetables and basil together and mix well.
- In a large bowl combine 2 cups of chopped vegetables and mix the bulgur, water, tomato sauce and salt.
- Mix well and let stand 10 minutes.
- Add meat and blend well.
- Knead about 5 minutes, moistening your hands with cold water at intervals.
- Taste for salt.
- Add more if necessary.
- Shape as desired and place on platter.
- We liked it squished flat with a fork and spread liberally with fresh chopped parsley and green onions as garnish.
- Eat with pita bread or crusty french bread, YUM!