Recipe by Mirj
I got this from an Armenian girl who works in my bank. If you substitute margarine for the butter you have a good vegan meal.
Top Review by HeatherFeather
This was outstanding rice! My whole family enjoyed this dish and is was very easy to prepare, yet gave the impression that I had fussed. This is very flavorful and I didn't change a thing. Delicious!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 cup mushroom, thickly sliced
- 1 small green pepper
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric or 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron
- 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable broth or 1 3⁄4 cups stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley, , for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy saucepan or casserole, melt the butter over moderate heat.
- Add the onion, mushrooms and sliced green pepper and cook gently until they begin to soften.
- Stir in the tomato together with the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add the rice and the turmeric or powdered saffron, and cook 2 minutes until grains are thoroughly coated with butter but not browned, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the broth (stock), sprinkle with salt and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender but still firm to the bite-- not mushy.
- Gently fluff the rice with a fork.
- Spoon onto a heated serving platter, being careful not to mash it, and sprinkle with chopped parsley.