Prep 5 mins
Cook 17 mins
From a dear Armenian friend. I have made this for 25 years. It is so easy and always comes out perfect. This to me is the true pilaf.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup vermicelli, broken in little pieces
- 3⁄4 cup rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- Heat butter in 2qt saucepan until frothy.
- Add vermicelli; saute until golden, dont burn.
- Add rice, stir.
- Add chicken broth, stir to mix.
- Cover and cook for 17 minutes on simmer.
Good, but could benifet from some added spices or vegtables such as garlic or onion. Not having had Armenian food before, maybe this is supposed to be a "plain" side dish to other foods.
This is the exact recipe an Armenian friend gave to me. I always use it when I make Easma Kufta to put the meatballs over. The only thing I do differently is cook it in a skillet. It is perfect as is! Easy and quick.
This rice is just perfect. There is no need to add soy sauce when eating. My son always wants to add soy sauce but for this rice, he didn't ask for the bottle. Thanks MizzNezz