Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Found in an online search for "Honigkuchen Marlenka" and posted b/c it sounds like it would be very good and something very different to make for tea or dessert. Might have to leave the walnuts off since the kids don't care for them. Heck NO! They can pick 'em off! *lol*
- Combine sugar, sifted flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Press half the mixture into a well greased 8x8" square pan.
- Dissolve baking soda in milk, add egg and nutmeg and pour over remaining sugar and flour mixture.
- Mix well, then spoon into pan on top of pressed in mixture.
- Sprinkle walnuts over.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350F for 1 hour.
- Allow to stand 15 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool.
Where is the honey in this cake? Honig means honey.
The cake is sooo delicious. I made it for my dad who is German. My husband thought it kind of tasted like Ginger cake. I left out the walnuts, for my husband and son don't like nuts. Very easy to make, it takes time to make it, but well worth it.