Recipe by Impera_Magna
Found in an online search for "Honigkuchen Marlenka" and posted b/c it sounds like it would be very good and something very different to make for tea or dessert. Might have to leave the walnuts off since the kids don't care for them. Heck NO! They can pick 'em off! *lol*
- 2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, sifted flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Press half the mixture into a well greased 8x8" square pan.
- Dissolve baking soda in milk, add egg and nutmeg and pour over remaining sugar and flour mixture.
- Mix well, then spoon into pan on top of pressed in mixture.
- Sprinkle walnuts over.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350F for 1 hour.
- Allow to stand 15 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool.