Recipe by Enjolinfam
From Neva & Jim Brackett's 7 Secrets Cookbook. Makes a very healthy meal that's delicious! Spinach and tomatoes are added after the cooking is completed to keep their distinct green and red color, and give the soup eye appeal. I usually freeze half of this recipe to feed my family of four again later.
- 354.88 ml lentils
- 2365.9 ml water
- 118.29 ml brown rice
- 236.59 ml diced onion
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 29.58 ml Braggs liquid aminos (can use soy sauce instead, but Braggs is healthier)
- 14.79 ml onion powder
- 14.79 ml salt (this is the amount the cookbook suggests, but I usually use about a 1/2 Tbsp salt so you might want )
- 14.79 ml chicken-flavored vegetarian seasoning (I use McKay's Chicken Seasoning which is like chicken bouillon but it's vegetarian and healthier)
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml dill weed
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 236.59 ml frozen chopped spinach
- 425.24 g diced tomatoes
- ginger (optional, this is an option my family adds because we like a little ginger flavor)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in kettle except spinach and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
- Add spinach and simmer 1 minute. Add tomatoes just before serving.
- Leftovers can easily be frozen for another meal. I usually just freeze the soup in a ziplock freezer bag. Take it out the day before and put it in the fridge to thaw. Then reheat over the stove in a pot.