Recipe by Enjolinfam
From Neva & Jim Brackett's 7 Secrets Cookbook. Makes a very healthy meal that's delicious! Spinach and tomatoes are added after the cooking is completed to keep their distinct green and red color, and give the soup eye appeal. I usually freeze half of this recipe to feed my family of four again later.
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils
- 10 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos (can use soy sauce instead, but Braggs is healthier)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon salt (this is the amount the cookbook suggests, but I usually use about a 1/2 Tbsp salt so you might want )
- 1 tablespoon chicken-flavored vegetarian seasoning (I use McKay's Chicken Seasoning which is like chicken bouillon but it's vegetarian and healthier)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- ginger (optional, this is an option my family adds because we like a little ginger flavor)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in kettle except spinach and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
- Add spinach and simmer 1 minute. Add tomatoes just before serving.
- Leftovers can easily be frozen for another meal. I usually just freeze the soup in a ziplock freezer bag. Take it out the day before and put it in the fridge to thaw. Then reheat over the stove in a pot.