Recipe by winkki
A vegetarian kibbee from The Cuisine of Armenia. Great with cucumber and tomato salad, tzatziki, pita, rice pilaf, etc. I leave the red/green pepper per family preferences.
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 dash salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup bulgur, fine grade
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green peppers or 1⁄4 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, finely chopped (white part and 2 inch of green part)
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 dash paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine lentils, water and salt in heavy saucepan.
- Bring to boil; simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 min, adding more hot water if needed.
- Add 1/2 cup of the butter and all the bulgur; simmer 2-3 minute Remove from heat and cover; set aside 15 minute.
- In heavy skillet, melt remaining 1/4 cup butter over med heat.
- Add onion and saute until golden brown; stir frequently.
- In large mixing bowl combine sauteed onions with lentil and bulgur mixture.
- Wet hands in warm water and knead mixture until well blended, 2-3 minutes.
- (Wet hands again as needed).
- Add 3 Tbsp each: peppers, green onions, parsley and mint to mixture and mix well.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Keeping hands moistened, form mixture into 1/2" thick patties.
- Arrange on serving dish; sprinkle with reserved sweet pepper, green onions, parsley and mint.
- Season to taste with paprika.
- (If you prefer your kibbee baked, place on oiled baking sheet and place in 375F oven until golden brown-- I never do this so am not sure how long it would take- 10-15 min?).