Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious and healthy comfort food!
- 1 eggplant
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, diced (I sometimes use 2 and add a yellow bell pepper)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- herbs, to taste (basil, chives, parsley, tarragon, oregano)
- sour cream, for garnish (don't forgo the garnish, it's what "makes" the dish!)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Pare and dice eggplant.
- Heat oil in skillet, add onion, green pepper, and eggplant.
- Stir over low heat until eggplant is soft.
- Add tomatoes (may substitute canned Italian solid pear shape tomatoes, drained), salt, and freshly ground pepper.
- Simmer a few minutes.
- At this point you can add basil, chives, parsley, tarragon or oregano to taste.
- Turn into casserole dish and bake at 325 degrees F for 40 minutes.
- Casserole may be served hot or cold, with sour cream.
Excellent side dish. Very tasty. I only had a small eggplant so I added mushrooms to stretch. Instead of fresh tomatoes I used a can of Italian tomatoes.
This is a tasty use for eggplant that's easy to prepare and healthy to eat.