Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Delicious flat bread, similar to foccacia. For a 1-1/2 pound capacity bread machine. Posted for Zaar World Tour II.
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 teaspoons yeast
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- In small saucepan, scaled milk by heating it just to boiling point, and set aside to cool.
- Add ingredients (except for garlic and olive oil) in order required by your bread machine.
- Program machine for dough.
- At end of rising cycle, turn the bread out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup olive oil with the crushed garlic. Set aside.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces, and with a floured rolling pin, roll each into a 1-inch-thick round.
- Lightly oil a large baking sheet and arrange the rounds on the sheet.
- Brush liberally with some of the garlic oil.
- Bake the rounds in the lower third of preheated 375º oven for 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve warm.
I did decrease the salt by using 2 teaspoons, but still is too salty for us. I also added rosemary to the olive oil. Thanks Charmie777 for sharing. Made for ZWT4 for the Eastern Europe bread challenge.
A wonderfully flavorful foccacia like bread with plenty of old fashioned flavor. Just like the bread rounds in the speciality shops - only fresh from the oven.The aroma alone worth a five! Thank you Charmie - this one goes straight to my Bread collection.
This is a good bread and it is pretty easy and quick as yeast breads go. We don't have a bread machine, so DH kneaded it by hand. Stiff dough and uniform but limited rising resulted from minimal liquid and heavy salt, both of which slow the yeast. We might be tempted to change both, but suspect that the dense, soft bread that results is the desired ethnic character of the recipe. We served wedges with shrimp scampi, then made a hearty sandwich by slicing half the remaining loaf flatwise and stuffing it with meat, cheese, and mayo. The garlic topping spread its fragrance throughout the house when baking. Made for ZWT4.