Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 5 mins
A lovely bread full of seeds and nuts.
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 1 compressed yeast cake
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 12 cups flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- Scald the milk and stir in the butter and lard.
- Allow to cool to about 100°F, then crumble in the yeast and add the sugar and a few spoonfuls of warm water and leave in a warm place till frothy.
- Mix together the flour, sesame seeds, sunflower kernels and salt.
- Stir the yeast and milk mixture into the flour together with 2¾ cups of lukewarm water.
- Beat well and knead till smooth and silky.
- Leave to rise for about 45 minutes.
- Knead again and form into 3 large flat loaves.
- Lay the loaves on greased baking sheets and leave to rise again for 30 minutes.
- Mix together the eggs, cheese, cumin, walnuts, and pepper and spread this thick paste over the loaves.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° and bake for 30 minutes more or till the loaves are firm and golden and sound hollow when tapped.
- Cool on wire rack.