Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
My sister gave me this recipe over 20 years ago and I make them every Thanksgiving. The family loves them and although this recipe takes a little more time....it's worth every minute. Try them once and you will never again look for another potato roll recipe!
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages Fleischmann's active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (not hot)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 8 cups flour
- Dissolve 2 pkgs active dry yeast in warm water, add salt and 2T sugar.
- Heat until warm: mashed potatoes, butter, 1Cup sugar and milk.
- To the potato mixture, add yeast mixture, then mix in flour.
- Mix well and turn out on floured board and kneed for 10 minutes.
- Let rise for 1 hour in greased bowl (in a warm area). If you haven’t killed the yeast it will double in size.
- Wait an hour and punch down and make round rolls (large is best).
- Let rise another hr (or more) and bake in oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Sometimes longer….
- Then sit back and watch brains fall out.
Dough is easy to handle. The rolls came out nice and soft. I halved the recipe and baked mine for 23 minutes. I got a 9X13 pan of rolls and 6 hamburger buns out of it.
Thesde are the BEST potato rolls EVER!!