Effy J's Note:
From the 2005 "Las Cocinits de Fiesta", written by some of the hardest working volunteers who put together the huge, city-wide San Antonio, TX Fiesta each spring. I made this for a card party and everyone loved it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- minced garlic (in oil, up to 2 T.)
- 2 medium onions (diced)
- 20 ounces stewed tomatoes (two 10 oz cans)
- 20 ounces tomatoes and green chilies (two 10 oz cans)
- 20 ounces enchilada sauce (I used one 19 oz can)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup queso quesadilla pasteurized cheese, grated (Arlene used the Nochebuena brand)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 12 corn tortillas (cut in small pieces (12 to 15)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1Simmer chicken breasts gently in 2 1/2 quart water for about 1 hour, skimming off scum as it appears. Let chicken cool in resulting broth, then debone and shred, setting it aside. Reserve broth, strain, if desired.
- 2In a large stock pot, combine reserved chicken stock, garlic, onion, stewed tomatoes, tomatoes with green chilies, enchilada sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add shredded chicken, Queso Quesadilla cheese, Cheddar cheese and tortilla pieces. Reduce heat to low. Simmer till cheese melts and tortillas soften. Stir often to prevent cheese from sticking to bottom of pot.
- 3When cheese has melted, add fresh cilantro and adust seasong. Cool soup to room temperature Cover and store in fridge overnight, letting flavors blend.
- 4When ready to serve, bring to simmer over low heat, stirring often. Serve with hot cornbread or hush puppies.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arlene's Cafe Chicken Enchilada Soup
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.2
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 19.1 mg
- Sodium 939.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 8.1 g