Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 large granny smith apples, cored and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- sifted powdered sugar
- whipped cream
- Make Apple Filling: melt butter in a large skillet over med-high heat; add in apples; cook, stirring constantly, 12 minutes, until tender.
- Gently stir in honey; cook just until thoroughly heated; keep warm.
- Make pancake: heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet in a 450° oven for 5 minutes.
- Combine the eggs, milk, and vanilla in a bowl; beat at medium speed using an electric mixer, until smooth.
- Add in flour and salt; beat 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in skillet; pour batter into hot skillet.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes; decrease temperature to 350°; bake 8 minutes or until puffed and browned.
- Remove from oven; spoon Apple Filling over pancake (pancake will deflate).
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and dollop with whipped cream; cut into wedges and serve.
I love german pancakes and this one is no exception ratherbeswimmin'. What a great tasting, big, tall, light, fluffy pancake and it was filled with a delicious apple filling. What more could a girl ask for. I garnished with a sprinkling of icing sugar. I enjoyed this very much and will make again. Thank you so much for sharing.
This was quite good. I might add some baking soda next time, but it was good as is. I also liked that it isn't super sweet so you can top it with something sweet without it being overpoweringly sugary.
I added the cinnamon and nutmeg and some lemon juice to the apple mixture, out of honey, used sugar and a bit of Karo syrup. Yum. Oh, and the Pancake, well....I just had to sneak in some Baking Powder, sorry, but it was FLUFFY, and POOFFFHH it said when I placed my apple mixture into it's center and it wrapped it's arms around it, like a soft blanket of Arkansas German Love. Thanks for posting this, I'm German, and am moving to Arkansas! Hah! Oh, and I LOVE PANCAKES!!! love em love em love em