Make and share this Arkansas German-Baked Pancake recipe from Food.com.
- Make Apple Filling: melt butter in a large skillet over med-high heat; add in apples; cook, stirring constantly, 12 minutes, until tender.
- Gently stir in honey; cook just until thoroughly heated; keep warm.
- Make pancake: heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet in a 450° oven for 5 minutes.
- Combine the eggs, milk, and vanilla in a bowl; beat at medium speed using an electric mixer, until smooth.
- Add in flour and salt; beat 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in skillet; pour batter into hot skillet.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes; decrease temperature to 350°; bake 8 minutes or until puffed and browned.
- Remove from oven; spoon Apple Filling over pancake (pancake will deflate).
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and dollop with whipped cream; cut into wedges and serve.
I love german pancakes and this one is no exception ratherbeswimmin'. What a great tasting, big, tall, light, fluffy pancake and it was filled with a delicious apple filling. What more could a girl ask for. I garnished with a sprinkling of icing sugar. I enjoyed this very much and will make again. Thank you so much for sharing.
This was just ok for me. I'm an experienced baker & the first thing that struck me was the recipe didn't call for any baking soda/powder so I wasn't sure how it was going to rise into a tall, light, fluffy pancake - & it didn't. While it didn't raise alot, (eggs themselves are somewhat of a leaving agent, so beating the mixture for 5 min, does keep it from being completely flat) it was still good, just more like a regular pancake. Not bad, just not what I was expecting. Also, it doesn't say to peel the apples, but next time I definitely would. The apples ended up getting so soft ( I would cook a little less than 12 min next time) that the peels pulled away, so I was left with strings of chewy peel which we didn't like. Finally, I think a little sugar to the batter & some cinnamon and/or nutmeg to the apples would be a great addition. Would make again but with some changes.