Recipe by NELady
From Best of the Best from America Cookbook by Gwen McKee & Barbara Moseley, c. 2005.
Top Review by Bev
This is not your typical cornbread recipe! When I first saw that the ingredients called only for 1/2 cup cornmeal and no additional flour, I suspected that this may very well be more of a "spoonbread" texture. This cheesy cornbread does have excellent flavor! The green chilies are a great addition. Upon cooling slightly, I was able to cut into squares and serve with our recipe#348287. However, I would suggest eating with a fork for best results. I used a 8x8" sq pan to bake which worked perfectly. Thanks so much, HELady!
- 1 (16 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄3 lb grated longhorn cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together, except for 2 handfuls of cheese. Pour into a greased casserole dish (the flatter, the better). Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake at 350* for 40 minutes or so. Recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, etc., But, if using a deep dish, allow extra baking time.