Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Delicious beans for the crock pot!
- 1 lb dried navy beans or 1 lb pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chuck steaks, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- Pick over beans and rinse well.
- Combine beans and water in a large kettle.
- Bring to boiling; cover; cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour then pour into crockpot.
- Brown salt pork in a large skillet.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to crockpot.
- Sauté onion, garlic and green pepper in pan drippings; remove with slotted spoon to crockpot.
- Brown beef, a few pieces at a time in pan drippings; remove to crockpot with slotted spoon.
- Stir in salt, oregano, red pepper, cumin and tomato sauce.
- Add more water, if necessary to bring liquid level above beans.
- Cook on LOW for 10 hours or on HIGH for 6 hours, or until beans are tender.
i was in the mood for some rib'stickn' beans and this fits the bill. i doubled up on the spices and tomato sauce.
Very good. I made em for the 4th.I used too much water, but still very good.