Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yes. It's hot. A good steak deserves a good bite! Jalapenos peeps,..smoked..yes some will think it's hot, to me and fellow pepper heads this is just a starter course. If you can't handle the milder sets of peppers, I'd advise you not to try this. I don't want to hear any "It's too hot! Shenanigans) It's not like there is Habaneros, Ghost Peppers or Scotch Bonnets lurking in there. Cook times approx depending on personal taste.
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 lbs top sirloin steaks
- salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, garlic, oregano and cumin.
- Finely chop the chile peppers and add to the mixture.
- Taste for heat and add some adobo sauce from the can, as desired.
- Puncture the meat with a sharp knife several times.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce over meat, turning to coat evenly, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate.
- Grill steak to desired taste.
- I prefer medium.
This recipe looked scrumptious to a chile-loving gal like me. However, it as just way too HOT for my taste (and I love really hot and spicy foods). My husband and I both felt like the marinade was so hot that we could barely taste the steaks underneath. However, I will try it next time with milder diced green chiles because I still think this recipe has real potential. Perhaps it was just taste preference on our parts, but I can usually eat VERY spicy foods...this dish is definitely not for the faint of heart! :-)
just to give everyone a heads up .. chipotles are smoked jalapenos and there are very hot ! i make my own salsa and use different kinds of chilies for various things .. but i would never consider using an entire can for 2#s of meat .. thats too much heat !!! im going to use the recipie tonight for steaks and i promise with one MAYBE two chipotles in the marinade ! the idea for the marinade sounds wonderful tho. will get back with a full report !