Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Entered for safe-keeping, this was the big hit on Top Chef Season 5's Thanksgiving episode. It was created by Ariane Duarte. Bravo's website omitted directions for actually cooking the turkey, so I added some from the Butterball website.
- 3 -5 lbs turkey breast, thawed in refrigerator (bone in)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
TURKEY STOCK FOR GRAVY (using breast bone)
- 2 carrots, washed and chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, washed and choppped in 1 inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 2 quarts swanson low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup Wondra Flour
- 1 lb baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 3 shallots, cleaned and sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- PREPARE TURKEY FOR BRINING:.
- Remove roast from package; pat dry with paper towels. Discard gravy packet or refrigerate for another use.
- Remove breast meat from bone. Save bones.
- PREPARE BRINE:.
- Heat water, orange juice, salt, and sugar and let salt dissolve in a pot.
- Add thyme, orange zest, and peppercorns. Let steep and cool.
- Pour over turkey breast, let sit for 1-4 hours.
- COOK TURKEY:.
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Place roast on flat roasting rack in roasting pan about 3 inches deep. Spray roast with cooking spray.
- Bake 1 3/4 to 2 hours; brush roast several times with the pan juices during the last 30 minutes or baking time. Bake until meat thermometer inserted in center of roast reaches 170°F.
- Let roast stand 10 minutes before removing string netting and carving.
- Alternatively, turkey breast may be prepared in turkey fryer according to turkey fryer's directions, using less time.
- PREPARE TURKEY GRAVY:.
- While turkey is baking, chop up breast bone, preferably with a cleaver. Put in stock pot and add all ingredients.
- Let simmer for one hour.
- Strain into pot, let boil, and whisk in flour.
- Let cook for 15-30 minutes more on medium heat.
- PREPARE MUSHROOMS AND SHALLOTS:.
- Melt butter almost to brown.
- Add shallots and mushrooms, raise heat and let brown.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add to thicken gravy.