Entered for safe-keeping, this was the big hit on Top Chef Season 5's Thanksgiving episode. It was created by Ariane Duarte. Bravo's website omitted directions for actually cooking the turkey, so I added some from the Butterball website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -5 lbs turkey breast, thawed in refrigerator (bone in)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
TURKEY STOCK FOR GRAVY (using breast bone)
- 2 carrots, washed and chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, washed and choppped in 1 inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 2 quarts swanson low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Wondra Flour
- 1PREPARE TURKEY FOR BRINING:.
- 2Remove roast from package; pat dry with paper towels. Discard gravy packet or refrigerate for another use.
- 3Remove breast meat from bone. Save bones.
- 4PREPARE BRINE:.
- 5Heat water, orange juice, salt, and sugar and let salt dissolve in a pot.
- 6Add thyme, orange zest, and peppercorns. Let steep and cool.
- 7Pour over turkey breast, let sit for 1-4 hours.
- 8COOK TURKEY:.
- 9Preheat oven to 325°F
- 10Place roast on flat roasting rack in roasting pan about 3 inches deep. Spray roast with cooking spray.
- 11Bake 1 3/4 to 2 hours; brush roast several times with the pan juices during the last 30 minutes or baking time. Bake until meat thermometer inserted in center of roast reaches 170°F.
- 12Let roast stand 10 minutes before removing string netting and carving.
- 13Alternatively, turkey breast may be prepared in turkey fryer according to turkey fryer's directions, using less time.
- 14PREPARE TURKEY GRAVY:.
- 15While turkey is baking, chop up breast bone, preferably with a cleaver. Put in stock pot and add all ingredients.
- 16Let simmer for one hour.
- 17Strain into pot, let boil, and whisk in flour.
- 18Let cook for 15-30 minutes more on medium heat.
- 19PREPARE MUSHROOMS AND SHALLOTS:.
- 20Melt butter almost to brown.
- 21Add shallots and mushrooms, raise heat and let brown.
- 22Season with salt and pepper.
- 23Add to thicken gravy.
Browse Our Top Turkey Breasts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Turkey Breasts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ariane's Orange Braised Turkey Breast With Mushrooms and Shallot
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 478.3
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 139.4 mg
- Sodium 768.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 51.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: