Recipe by Valeria
I love this dish, but I don't know if I'm brave enough to try making it. I have a feeling this would make a great dish for those preggers cravings, because there are a lot of flavors on one plate. Translated from "Atrevete a cocinar" by Karlos Arguiñano. I don't know if this is authentic Cuban cuisine, so don't tell your friends that it is unless you're sure! I've always enjoyed this in the more southern reaches of Spain, and sometimes they include a plain, bun-less hotdog alongside the rice, egg and banana. Karlos Arguiñano doesn't use scales or measuring cups, really. But I'm trying to be a precise as possible for Recipezaar users. When I put 150 g he actually says to use an espresso-cup full, and where I put 100 ml (or 1 deciliter) he says to use half a tumbler glass full. A tbsp is a soup spoon, which is about 15-25 grams depending on if it's level or heaping. A skimmer is very handy for the egg frying and serving. The tomato sauce should be as basic as possible, with just a little garlic flavor. None of that marinara stuff.
Top Review by jb_relojo
Strangely good and comforting. The bananas come out tender and sweet, which balances out the tangy tomato sauce. (However, my canned sauce was too tangy and I sweetened it just a little.) The eggs make it a filling dish. Overall, I enjoyed it.
- 150 g dry white rice
- 2 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas
- 100 ml tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 100 ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, heat 2 tbsp oil on low heat. Peel garlic cloves and fry until golden.
- Add rice, 5 dL water and 1/2 tsp salt. Boil for three minutes. Cover, lower heat to a simmer and let cook 17 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- To fry the eggs, it's important to do it one at a time. Use a generous amount (1 dL) oil in a small frying pan and let it heat up. When it starts to smoke a little, break the egg into a cup and carefully add it to frying pan. With a slotted spoon keep sprinkling hot oil on top of egg for 20-30 seconds. Remove egg with slotted spoon and let oil strain out. Repeat the process with other egg.
- Peel bananas, cover with flour and shake off excess. Fry them, using the same oil that the eggs were fried in, 3-4 minutes each side until golden.
- Finally, heat tomato sauce.
- Each serving should include a neat heap of rice, sprinkled with parsley, one egg and one banana. The tomato sauce is poured over the rice.