Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A simple grilled technique and flavorful, herb-packed sauce enliven flank steak. From Cook's Illustrated 2009 Summer Grilling issue.
- Prepare grill according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Place onion on baking sheet; brush both sides lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle both sides of steak with salt and pepper. Place onion and steak directly on grill. Grill onion, turning once, until streaked with dark grill marks, 10 to 12 minutes. Grill steak until well seared and dark brown on side, 5 to 7 minutes. Using tongs, flip steak; continuing grilling on other side until interior of meat is slightly less done than you want it to be when you eat it, 2 to 5 minutes more for rare or medium-rate.
- Transfer steak to cutting board, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice steak very thing on bias against the grain. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Place onions on platter and arrange meat over onions. Serve with Chimichurri Sauce.
- For Chimichurri Sauce:.
- Process parsley and garlic in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, stopping as necessary to scrape sides of bowl. Until ingredients are chopped fine. Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Whisk in oil, vinegar, pepper flakes, salt and 2 tablespoons water until thoroughly blended. Serve immediately.
Great recipe. Made just as directed and loved the flavors in the marinade. Made for ZWT7.
This was part of our delish Menu #66257
I did place both on the grill at the same time. Seared the steak four minutes per side. Removed and tented over foil while the onions continued the cook. To the chimichurri sauce I added fresh oregano and used champagne vinegar. Salt was just a pinch. Loved the garlic. I did place all the sauce ingredients into the processor to blend to a nice sauce for ease instead of waiting to remove then whisk in the oil and vinegar. Made for ZWT 2011 Thanks bunches.
Delicious! I added a pinch of smoked paprika and also mixed everything in a food processor. Thank you!