Recipe by Manami
Grill on a wood plank to keep food moist and impart a mild, smoky flavor. It is great for fish, pork and beef. Food cooked on a plank is moist, because of the damp smoke from the wood. The ingredients list is long but that is for the sauce and that goes straight into the food processor. Cooking Light, June 2003. I didn't allow an hour for soaking the plank nor was I able to mention the plank in the ingredients however, I did mention size etc. in the directions.
Top Review by Sandi (From CA)
Superb! Our steaks were more like 1"-thick, so we ended up putting them directly on the grill (no plank) for 4 additional minutes and they turned out perfect! The sauce was ~WHOOOOIE!~ hot from the garlic and red pepper flakes, but not so much to render it inedible for our shy taste buds. In fact, the more I ate it, the more I wanted! I omitted the mint -our preference- and filled in that blank with more parsley and cilantro. We both LOVED the result from the technique used here. The flavor from the planking (ours was cedar) was profoundly rich... really, really lovely. Thank you for sharing this true keeper, Manami!
- 4 (4 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, trimmed 3/4-inch thick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaf
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup fat free low-sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Immerse and soak plank,15x6-1/2x3/8" in water 1 hour, drain.
- Prepare grill, heating one side to medium and one side to high heat.
- To prepare steak, sprinkle steaks with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Place plank on grill rack over high heat; grill 5 minutes or until lightly charred. Carefully turn plank over; move to medium heat.
- Place steak on charred side of plank.
- Cover and grill 12 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
- Prepare the sauce while you are soaking plank.
- Combine parsely and remaining ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Serve with steaks,.