Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this one on line while I was putzing around. It sounded good and it seemed quick and easy so I gave it a shot. The flavor was marvelous. It lived up to my expectations.
- 4 chicken breasts or 4 chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch squares
- 2 yellow onions, cut into eighths
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- bamboo skewer
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika (www.worldspice.com has the real stuff)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh Mexican oregano
- kosher salt
- black peppercorns
- Soak the skewers for an hour.
- Set charcoal alight.
- In your handy mortar grind the Oil, Garlic, Paprika, Oregano, Salt, and Peppercorns.
- Skin, debone, and de-fat the chicken.
- Cut into 1/2 cubes.
- Rinse, pat dry, stir into Marinade.
- Coat well.
- Thread the Onion, Chicken, Peppers, and Cherry Tomatoes alternately onto the skewers.
- Grill over medium coals for 15-20 minutes'til everything is done.
- This works well grilled over a hibachi or other small grill on a picnic.
- Prepare everything at home and do the grilling at the picnic site.
- It's almost as good cooked under the broiler at home.
Nice change from typical bbq chicken. The whole family enjoy it. I didn't have time to soak my skewers so I just cut thick strips of chicken and layed them across the grill so they wouldn't fall through. Even though the chicken wasn't bite size, there was still plenty of flavour.
We really enjoyed these, very tasty and easy to make. I couldn't find any mexican oregano (probably can't get it here), so I had to use regular. Since I am always looking for ways to cut back on fat, I only used 3 tablespoons of olive oil instead of the half cup and I found that it coated all the meat and veggies quite well. I let them marinate with the garlic, oregano, paprika oil mixture for a little while to bring out the flavour. Very good skewers and legal for the South Beach diet. Thanks for sharing, Pierre.