1/2 Photos of Argentine Chicken Stew (Cazuela Gaucho)
1 hr 20 mins
Here's a recipe for a Jewish dish which was originally designed to be cooked over a campfire. This stew is a dish typical of the cooking of a group of Jews who left Russia in the late nineteenth century to form an agricultural community in Argentina. Some of the early pioneers became gauchos and would have cooked this stew over a camp fire in a clay pot called a cazuela, from whic
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 chicken, cut up
- flour (for dredging)
- olive oil (for sauteing)
- 3 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 8 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 lb pumpkin or 1 lb hubbard squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 large parsnips, cut into chunks
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika (preferably Hungarian)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- chicken stock
- 1/2 cup barley
- 2 ears corn, sliced into 1 1/2-inch slices
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 lb green beans, cut
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1Heat some oil in a Dutch oven.
- 2Dredge the chicken pieces in seasoned flour.
- 3Saute the chicken until golden brown on all sides.
- 4Remove chicken and set aside.
- 5If necessary, add additional oil to the pan and saute the carrots, parsnips, potatoes and squash until golden brown.
- 6Remove vegetables and set aside.
- 7Saute onions until limp and translucent.
- 8Near the end of the onions' cooking time, add the garlic and paprika and saute 2-3 minutes.
- 9Return chicken and sauteed vegetables to the pan.
- 10Add bay leaf, white wine, salt and pepper and chicken stock to barely cover the stew.
- 11Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- 12Cook for 20 minutes and add barley and corn cob slices.
- 13Cover and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- 14Add green beans and thawed peas and cook for 10 additional minutes.
- 15Beat the egg.
- 16Add a little of the hot liquid from the pan and beat the egg vigorously.
- 17Add the egg to the pot and stir.
- 18Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- 19Taste the stew and correct the seasoning, if necessary.
- 20Serve the stew in soup plates or deep dinner plates with a rim.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Argentine Chicken Stew (Cazuela Gaucho)
Serving Size: 1 (385 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 385.0
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 72.2 mg
- Sodium 109.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 21.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: