Recipe by WI Cheesehead
I got this via a chef who linked Cooking Light. I'm using her Chimichurri for teh Chimichurri instead of this one. I usu. knead my dough in my Bosch mixer, but it didn't work this time. So I did it by hand. I found a trick: Kneaded it in my seasoned stoneware bar pan and it didn't stick at all, without flour. You won't use all of the black bean spread, so save for a dip with baked tortilla chips, a topping for a taco salad, or as a taco or burrito filler.
Top Review by pattikay in L.A.
This bread is very tasty. Kind of a pizza-like texture. The drizzle is a really nice addition to the mix, so don't leave it out! I used dried herbs instead of fresh and it was just fine. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water, divided (100-110 degrees)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated fresh parmesan cheese
For Black Bean Spread
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can50% -less reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canorganic fire-roasted diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
For the Chimichurri
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membrane.
- Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand.
- Broil 12 minutes or until blackened.
- Place in a zip-top plastic bag, seal, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Peel and cut into 16 strips. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 450°F.
- Sprinkle cornmeal over a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. A jellyroll pan works ideally. Set aside.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 C warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 1/2 C water, flour and salt to yeast mixture, stirring until dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press 2 fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.).
- Roll dough into a 14x11-inch rectangle; place dough on prepared baking sheet.
- BLACK BEAN SPREAD: Combine all Black Bean Spread ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Spread 1 1/2 C black Bean Spread over dough. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 450° for 13 minutes or until crust browns and cheese is bubbly. Let cool 10 minutes.
- CHIMICHURRI DRIZZLE: Combine all chimichurri ingredients in a small bowl.
- Drizzle chimichurri over cheese.
- Cut bread into 16 squares; garnish each square with 1 bell pepper strip.