Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Found this at World Recipes. Sounds good!
Make and share this Argentine Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs beef, cut into bite size cubes (I use sirloin tip)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup dried apricot, chopped coarsely if whole and large
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 large pumpkin
- butter or margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 lb whole kernel corn, drained and defrosted if necessary
- In olive oil, brown the beef with the onion and garlic.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the corn, sherry and pumpkin.
- Simmer for 1 hour, covered.
- Cut the top off the pumpkin and discard.
- Scoop out the seeds and stringy membrane, and discard them as well.
- You could toast the pumpkin seeds in the oven for a snack if you like, but they are not used in this recipe.
- Brush the inside of the pumpkin with butter and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the stew, sherry and corn.
- Bake the stew-containing pumpkin at 325° F for about an hour, or until the pumpkin is tender.
- When serving, scoop out some pumpkin along with the stew.
im an american living in argentina, this dish is actually called puchero or poor man stew. i love it and all the vegetables you like can be added. here we dont have pumpkins, so different types of squashes are used. and everything is just thrown in whole. so big pots are needed.
we made this on Halloween. it's a great stew recipe. it's has a warm sweet flavor to it. I doubled the beef broth beacuse there was not enough liqued for the stew to stew in. I also added a few shots of Habanero hot sauce for kick. will make again when it starts to get cold.