Recipe by byZula
There are a lot of Moroccan chicken recipes here on zaar. I'm posting this one anyway since it's supposed to be a restaurant copycat.
Top Review by awalde
Hobbyzu! I had to discover your recipe soooooo many years after posting this recipe and it's soooo a fantastic recipe.
We enjoyed this dish like something holy! It was sooooo wonderful tasty and delicious!
I prepared some homemade bread (my Recipe #449099). This was a perfect combination with the tasty sauce of your chicken.
I had chicken with preserved lemons and olives in Fes (Marocco) and I prepared this several times without any recipe. Today I tried to find one in food.com and I found your recipe!
Very similar to mine, but much more complete and tasty.
Indeed, I did some changes: ground ginger instead of fresh one and from the beginning all the ingredients directly together.
Please, please post more recipes!
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) broiler-fryer chickens
- 4 large minced onions
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mixed chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 preserved lemon (available at a Middle Eastern grocery or a specialty foods store)
- 5 ounces olives
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large tagine (terra cotta cooking pot) or non-metallic cooking pot, mix the onions, garlic, ginger, saffron, olive oil, parsley, cilantro, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, paprika and lemon juice.
- Add the chicken and toss until all pieces are coated. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, pour the water into the tagine or pot. Add the salt and pepper.
- Place on the stove and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Let simmer for 35 - 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, in a separate saucepan, bring the olives and preserved lemon to a boil. Let cook for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Add the olive mixture to the chicken 5 minutes before serving. Serve hot.
- (Please note that the 2 hour chilling time is included in the prep calculation.).