1/1 Photo of Arepitas With Chimichurri and Queso Fresco
Cristina Barry's Note:
Recipe courtesy of Susanna Goihman, Azafran Restaurant, Philadelphia. Love latin infused tapa like dishes. I have yet to make this recipe, so if you do, please share your thoughts. Arepitas are similar to corn fritters.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 Spanish onion
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves picked
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed and chopped
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Make the chimichurri: In a food processor, pulse the onion until finely chopped but not pureed.
- 2Transfer the onion to a bowl. Add the olive oil, lime juice, parsley, cilantro, oregano leaves, garlic, and jalapeno and pulse until finely chopped.
- 3Transfer the herb mixture to the bowl with the onion and stir to combine. Season the chimichurri with salt and pepper.
- 4Make the arepitas: In a large bowl, whisk together the harina pan, Parmesan, and salt. In another large bowl, whisk together the water, milk, and 3 tablespoons oil. stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture.
- 5Using your hand, knead the mixture until a firm but malleable dough is formed.
- 6Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, pour the oil for frying into a large pot to a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer inserted in the oil registers 365 degrees F.
- 8Form the dough into 1 to 1 1/2-inch round balls. Using the palms of your hands, form the dough balls into rounded "UFO" shapes.
- 9Working in batches, add the dough balls to the oil and fry, turning occasionally, until puffed and golden brown.
- 10Using a slotted spoon, transfer the arepitas to paper towel-lined plate and season with salt.
- 11Serve the arepas in a bowl with the chimichurri and queso fresco in separate bowls on the side.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arepitas With Chimichurri and Queso Fresco
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.8
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 542.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh flat-leaf parsley
fresh cilantro leaves