Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I only saw recipes for Venezuelan and Ecuadorean Arepas so I thought I'd share this one. It's from my Colombian friend.
- 1 cup cornmeal (PAN harina)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup queso blanco, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk or 1⁄4 cup hispanic cream
- Combine cornmeal and water in a bowl.
- Add cheese and then buttermilk.
- Heat a non-stick skillet (low).
- Roll mixture into a ball and place in pan and flatten into a pancake, about a 4 inches circle.
- heat for about 5 minutes, continually checking that it does not burn.
- when it is golden brown flip over to other side for about five minutes.
- shred additional queso blanco on top and serve.
great i made it for my 6th grade project, it went great everyone loved it. i needed it because i had to do a project on venzuela thanks
I hadn't made these in years. I made a double recipe and made some small ones and two large ones. The small ones were given to little ones and a small amount of maple syrup put on them. The large ones were cut in wedges and served with hot spicy meats. I used farmer cheese the closest to queso blanco.Brings back memories and easy on the budget to make. Thanks for posting.