This arepa dough uses the brand P.A.N. a precooked cornmeal available at any Hispanic grocer. Unlike traditional arepas, these are "fluffy" due to the addition of eggs and baking powder. Fill them with cheese, taco meat mixture, tuna, smoked sausage, scrambled eggs, anything you like. Got this recipe from a Venezulean friend.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a mixing bowl, add cornmeal, salt, pepper, baking powder. Mix well.
- 2Add the cheese (eg: jack, mozzarella, cheddar, or combination)and combine well.
- 3With a fork, stir in boiling water.
- 4Add eggs.
- 5Mix with a fork until dough leaves the side of the bowl.
- 6Knead dough with your hands only enough to form a ball.
- 7About 3/4 cup of dough makes one arepa.
- 8Flatten balls and fry in a lightly greased pan until golden.
- 9Or cook in arepa cooker until arepas sound hollow when tapped.
- 10Let cool slightly and serve.
- 11TO EAT: Split like an Eng. muffin and with a spoon, scoop-out the fluffy cornmeal insides then fill the shells with anything you like. The scooped-out cornmeal can be eaten with a fork or discarded. Or don't scoop them out it's your preference.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arepas
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.7
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 111.0 mg
- Sodium 693.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 8.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: