Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "A Beautiful Bowl of Soup". Just got this book from the library--haven't tried the recipes, but some of them look very tasty.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced (1/2 tsp if dry, crushed)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 16 ounces acorn squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, thin strips
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- pecorino romano cheese, thinly sliced
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; continue cooking until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and rosemary; stir until coated with oil. Add vegetable stock, squash, and lemon zest strips; increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice and squash are tender, about twelve minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and season to taste.
- Serve topped with cheese. (No cheese for vegan version).