Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Creamy rice pudding made with arborio rice
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup uncoooked arborio rice
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Bring water to a boil and add rice.
- Simmer at med-low temperature, stirring occasionally, until most of the water is absorbed, the rice is tender but still appears creamy.
- Add milk and sugar, mix well.
- Let simmer at med-low for about 10 minutes, stirring often until mixture appears creamy and the rice is soft.
- Whisk egg yolk.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolk while whisking and then pour back into the pot.
- Simmer about five minutes more, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and add butter,vanilla and cinnamon; let cool.
- Pudding will thicken as it cools.
- **Raisins can be added at the time of the milk and sugar if desired**.
Good recipe. I doubled it to serve more people. Would not include the cinnamon in the recipe next time. I would prefer a light dusting of cinnamon on top, instead.
Im tired of people rating recipes when they dont follow it exactly as written !!
I am not normally a fan of rice pudding but today for some reason I thought I'd try it....I'd always liked it when I was a small child. I decided to give your recipe a try. The only thing I did different was to use maple extract instead of vanilla because I was out and I used skim milk because I am trying to watch the fat. It turned out delicious!! Way better than I anticipated! Thank You!!