Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
My whole family loves this alternative to pasta salad. It's a great gluten free and dairy free (switch out oil for the butter) option. This is a modification of a recipe found on the Alessi Brand arborio rice box.
- 354.88 ml arborio rice
- 29.58 ml butter (or olive oil if dairy free)
- 59.14 ml pitted kalamata olive, sliced
- 59.14 ml roasted red pepper, diced
- 59.14 ml artichoke heart, diced
- 118.29 ml broccoli, flower-ettes small pieces- blanched al dente
- 118.29 ml thousand hills tm 100% grass-fed beef uncured summer sausage, diced (or other brand, gluten free, no MSG or fillers)
- 118.29 ml tomatoes, diced
- 44.37 ml pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 29.58 ml fresh Italian parsley, minced
- 22.18 ml fresh basil, minced
- 4.92 ml fresh oregano, minced
- 78.07 ml extra virgin olive oil, whisked together with
- 44.37 ml white balsamic vinegar or 44.37 ml rice vinegar
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bring 3 C of salted water to boil in heavy saucepan with tight fitting lid. Add butter and rice. Stir while boiling for 1 minute. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook rice undisturbed for 18-20 minute Fluff and allow to cool.
- While rice is cooling, blanch the broccoli, toast the pine nuts and chop the other ingredients.
- Transfer the rice and all ingredients to a serving bowl and toss to coat. Best served at room temp but can also be chilled.
- Play with the ingredients to your liking.