Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A middle eastern dish, these are mini meat calzones. Serve these with hummus, arabic salad or pickles for mezze or starters. Please note, for baharat spice mix, you may go to Baharat Spice Blend.
- 500 g ground lamb (minced)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baharat mixed spice, Baharat Spice Blend
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice
- 50 g pine nuts, roasted
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 flat bread or 5 arabic bread
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 4/350F/180°C.
- In a large bowl, add in the minced lamb, with the chopped onion and tomato, crushed garlic, salt, spice mix, parsley, lemon juice and toasted pine nuts and mix well.
- Cut bread into quarters.
- Open up the quartered bread pieces and spread a heaped tablespoonful of meat mixture in a thin layer into one side of the bread and press down to close.
- Brush both sides of the bread with oil.
- Place on a baking tray and bake in the centre shelf of the oven for half an hour, turning once after 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with hummus.
FROM: Susan On November 7, 2009 This was just as good as any I have had at a Middle Eastern restaurant. I have been passing this around to lots of my friends. I can't wait to make it for my son-in-law who is from Beirut.
I really didn't know what to expect from this, 'cause I've never been much interested in lamb dishes (a carry-over from my college days when it was served in the student cafeteria, POORLY served, it seems), but seeing the review from a trusted chef, I took it on! Must say that I was very pleased with the results! This is definitely a TASTE TREAT for anyone who has had a BAD experience with eating lamb! The combination of spices was OUTSTANDING, & it did wonders for the lamb (well, actually, it did wonders for my taste buds)! I appreciate the opportunity of being able to make your wonderful recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe cooking game]
Once I had everything in place on the counter, Food Network style, this was an incredibly easy recipe. I used ground mutton (always available here in the Middle East). The baharat spice mix gave this a lovely Persian flavor. I used whole wheat pitas and added some za'atar for extra flavor. This was a fun supper, the kids had a blast helping and mixing their own.