1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chef 001's Note:
This recipe was inspired by the version offered by Salt Tapas Bar in Singapore. I've been obsessed with the combination of the crispy, moist arancini with the tangy green goddess dressing since my first taste. This is my own version patched together from various recipes online. I haven't posted a risotto recipe here but any go-to recipe should do the trick. I've tried it out only once but it was crazyyy delicious. Will use the green goddess dressing for other things next time - perhaps over grilled fish fillets mmm.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups risotto rice (I made mine a day before with porcini and shitake mushrooms and spinach, no parmesan added)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs (dried Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the green goddess dressing
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 3/4 cup packed fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
- 3/4 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup packed mint leaf
- 2 small anchovy fillets, drained
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Combine the risotto, eggs, parmesan and 1/2 the panko in a large bowl. Adjust the ingredients where necessary to achieve desired consistency/taste. Season if necessary. If the risotto was cooked with parmesan, you may add less in the mixture. Place the remaining panko in a medium bowl.
- 2Using about 2 tablespoons of the risotto mixture for each, form the mixture into balls of 2-inch diameter. Insert 1 cube of mozzarella into the centre of each ball. Roll the balls in the panko to coat. Don't worry if the risotto is very sticky initially, the balls should take shape once you coat them in the panko.
- 3Pour enough oil in a heavy large saucepan to reach the depth of 3 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat.
- 4Working in batches, add the rice balls to the hot oil and cook until brown and heated through, turning them as necessary, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the rice balls to paper towels to drain. Let rest 2 minutes.
- 5To make the dressing, puree the dressing ingredients in a food processor.
- 6To serve, dish and spread out the dressing on a serving plate and rest balls on top. You may serve up additional dressing on the side for guests who can't get enough!
- 7Tip: You may freeze the risotto balls after forming them, but thaw them and re-shape them (and if necessary, roll in additional panko) before frying.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arancini With Green Goddess Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (1030 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.0
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 44.7 mg
- Sodium 298.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 8.4 g